Hi! My name is Kim, I’m twenty-one years old and entering my senior year at Cornell University.
For a long time, my life was defined by athletic and academic achievement. I excelled in swimming and school for as long as I can remember, and I was recruited to swim at Ivy League universities and other prestigious schools. I chose Cornell because it would be the ultimate challenge – a combination of Division I NCAA athletics and an Ivy League pre-medical education.
Little did I know that the pressure, combined with my background, genetics, and perfectionist attitude, would lead me into the depths of an eating disorder.
Throughout my recovery I have learned so much about life and myself, and hope to share and grow even more with this blog. I am still “in recovery,” but work every single day on being true to myself and pursuing my passions. I don’t consider myself a “writer,” but I have recently found that I love to write and decided to rolllllll with it!
That’s my story, but it certainly doesn’t define me! Here’s a list of some of the things I love and am passionate about:
- reading – ANYTHING!
- pumpkin butter. anything pumpkin. actually, anything fall related. i just love fall!
- the new york yankees and jets. my family always watches football on Sundays.
- playing golf for fun with my dad (I’m definitely a “daddy’s girl”)
- snowboarding, and being in the mountains. i love ski getaways because they remind me of my childhood.
- colorado – where i hope to move after i’m done with undergrad, and possibly go to med school there
- the ocean. there is nothing more relaxing to me than sitting on a quiet beach watching the waves crash in and listening to the “woosh” (if you’ve been to the ocean you know what i’m sayin’)
- hiking with some good friends
- being active and athletic. getting outside and moving. when i’m a retired swimmer, i want to do some shorter triathlons and running races for fun.
- various forms of music, not limited to but including: Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band (the old stuff), Alanis Morrisette, Coldplay, Goo Goo Dolls, Kings of Leon, admitting this might make me a 13 year old girl but Fall Out Boy, Paramore, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z, and anything that allows me to chill, get psyched, or dance depending on what mood i’m in 🙂
- working with kids is one of my true passions, and i hope to turn that into someday being a pediatrician!
- academically, i’m interested in pathogenic microbiology (a mouthful, i know), nutrition (shocking!), Ancient Egypt (don’t ask – I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was in first grade until I found out there are spiders and scorpions in the pyramids)